Today, we took a trip to Beypazarı. 😀 It was wonderful!

First we walked out to 100.Yil (pronounced yuz-en-jill, a neighborhood outside ODTU) to catch a dolmus to Ankamall. Though it was rainy and drizzling, a tree by the dolmus stop was blooming and this made the day start out juuust right!

We caught a bus outside of the Ankamall and took it to Beypazarı, 100km west of Ankara. Hanne and her roommates bought 400TL worth of groceries yesterday…nuts! So she’s eating an orange on the bus. I think one of the things I am going to miss the most about Turkey is the oranges…they taste so much better than the ones in the States, and there are no seeds. 😀 The boy reading that you can see in the background here….he vommed later on the bus trip, and so did the girl who sat behind him. It was rather gross, but thankfully all collected in a bag. @.@

Charms hanging off the ceiling of the bus? The guy with the dark hair whose head and shoulders you can see was like a flight attendant, or maybe more like a bus attendant. He gave us water, tea/NesCafe, and a wipe to wash our hands with. It was pretty nice actually, especially for only 5TL!

Beypazarı is an old Ottoman town, and was an important trading hub along the route from Istanbul to Baghdad. Their carrots are specialty: Beypazarı alone produces approximately 60% of Turkey’s carrots, which is amazing.

They sell carrot Turkish Delight, and there were several carrot juicers along the streets selling carrot juice (and apple juice I think I think.) Beypazarı is also famous for its 80-layer baklava…traditionally you find it with only 40 layers.

Our first order of business was food! We had a great lunch in a building that I’m fairly certain is an old Ottoman building. Really, really pretty rugs and hangings, and a guy playing the traditional Turkish guitar-type instrument and singing while we were there. Was very cool.

We walked around the streets, looking at Ottoman houses

and trying to decide how we could get to the tops of various jutting stone.

I think this is a hamam being built? Not sure.

There really were some just stunning views in this city. It was really tough to walk (because some hills were nearly vertical, and everything was wet slippery cobblestone) but it was so fun and worth it.

When we got to the dead end of a path on one of the mountains, we were standing around talking about what we should do then. The bus wouldn’t be leaving until 4:50 first bus, and it was only 3PM. A woman came in and out of the house there with the big porch, and then said something in Turkish to all of us speaking in English. She ended up inviting us inside her house for some cay with some of her (friends I think?) It was so cool. Only two girls really had enough Turkish to have much of a conversation, but now and then it was still hard. I followed some of it, but definitely not all of it.

We stayed for a while, and then headed back out to do some shopping on the main pizar line. After that, some of us walked and some of us got sahlep before catching the 5:50 bus back to Ankara.Here are some of our weary travelers!

I have a Turkish test on Tuesday………….I should really stop procrastinating on that P: